Start Up Series #2: Hosting – Cloud Computing Platforms for StartupsSoftware Development, Startup Series | 0 comments | by Shaz Ide
From what was once a buzzword, the cloud is now a place where you can host every bit of information available. As internet speeds increase, server costs have dramatically dropped to give you more options in advanced cloud hosting solutions that act as virtual servers you can pay-per-use than having to set up and run costly physical servers. Not only will you have a bigger option for storing your data, but multiple servers connected as a secured network to meet your ever- growing storage needs.
Hosting Wars: Dedicated Hosting VS Cloud Hosting
Is cloud hosting more reliable than dedicated hosting? The answer really depends on your usage like your website traffic, frequency of upload/download, and the size of your files. A single dedicated server is more susceptible to downtime should the server fail. In most cases, dedicated hosting is more practical and safer to use when you have the right IT staff to look after security. While a dedicated hosting may offer almost the same resources with that of the cloud, if you wish to pay on demand for extra bandwidth or storage, then go for the latter.
Cloud Hosting: Will It Work For Me?
Unlike single servers, you do not lose data when the cloud crashes as your data is stored in a number of places. Think of it like a power generator in the suburb; if one fails, there are still others generating power to meet the demand of every household. If you want more reliability and uptime, flexibility during an increase in traffic (load spikes), quick file transfers, and improved security – then, you may want to check out our cherry-picked Top 5 Cloud Hosting Solutions:
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a suite of cloud computing products and services offered by Amazon.
From just a popular book seller on the Web in 2006 to becoming a big name in offering cloud-based server environment, Amazon Web Services is now a powerhouse of products providing hundreds of thousands of websites with a broad set of global computing, storage, database, analytics, application and deployment solutions. These help organisations of all sizes move their business faster, while lowering IT costs and providing scalable applications.
If you’re looking for a wide variety of cloud products and solutions that can power your web and mobile applications, IoT (Internet of Things), game development, data processing, storage and many more – it only takes 10 minutes for you to learn and get started with their tutorials. Their services may not be for everyone, but you can always ask their reliable staff if you’re unsure of your choices.
About: Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a variety of scalable and flexible IaaS, PaaS, storage, networking, and management solutions for businesses of all sizes. Engineered for the most demanding requirement, it supports virtually any workload for over a million active customers in 190 countries.
- Broad & deep core cloud infrastructure services
- Rich platform services (Analytics, Enterprise Applications, Mobile Services, Internet of Things)
- Developer productivity and operational efficiency (Developer Tools, Management Tools, Security & Identity, Application Services)
- Global network of regions and Edge locations
What We Love:
- Rich knowledge base and tutorials that are easy to understand
- Multiple language support
- Extensive documentation to help you find useful information from introductions to
- AWS Summit (live event streaming)
- AWS Marketplace where you can launch and sell your software
- AWS Free Tier for 12 months to help you get hands on experience
Pricing: Pricing varies from Pay-as-You-Go, Pay Less/Unit by Using More, or Pay Less When You Reserve.
Microsoft Azure helps modern businesses move faster, save money and integrate cloud services – analytics, computing, database, mobile, networking, storage, and Web.
Getting more things done is a big challenge these days among developers and IT professionals. With Azure, you get integrated tools, pre-built templates and managed services to make it easier for you to build and manage faster – whether you’re dealing with mobile, Web, Internet of Things (IoT) or enterprise applications.
Azure runs on a worldwide network of Microsoft-managed data centers across 22 regions – which is more than that of Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud combined. This means more options for you in terms of running your applications seamlessly. If you’re worried about integration with your existing IT infrastructure, Azure offers hybrid cloud solutions to give you the best of both worlds. Azure also offers both PaaS and IaaS services, supporting various programming languages, tools, and frameworks.
About: Microsoft Azure is an open, flexible and growing collection of integrated cloud services that helps you build, deploy and manage apps across a global network of Microsoft-managed data centres.
- Build intelligent products and services leveraging the Internet of Things
What We Love:
- Encode, store and stream audio and video at scale
- Run large scale compute jobs and perform powerful predictive analytics
- Integration with business/enterprise applications
- Build and deploy modern, cross platform web and mobile applications
- Hybrid integration that allows you to seamlessly integrate the enterprise and the cloud
- Supports the broadest selection of devices, operating systems, databases, languages, frameworks, and tools
- Security Development Lifecycle (SDL) compliance – Microsoft is the first to adopt this new international standard for cloud privacy
- Easy-to-Follow documentation
- Bigger global support
- Free signup + $200 credit you can spend on all Azure services
- No upfront costs or termination fees
- Competitor price match
Pricing: Flexible pricing from Pay-As-You-Go, 12-month Prepaid Subscription, Reseller, Enterprise and Compute Options .
The IBM Cloud offers a wide array of IaaS, SaaS, and PaaS solutions for the public, private and hybrid cloud.
If you’re looking for cloud platforms that work with bare metal servers, analytics tools and infrastructure – you may want to experience IBM cloud for your complex storage and computing needs. Explore powerful, open-source technologies for your apps and expand its functionality with services and APIs from IBM, third parties, and communities.
IBM cloud solutions help you innovate and stay ahead of the competition that works with your cloud strategy, and even your existing infrastructure. From comprehensive cloud ecosystem, data management, virtualisation, storage, to computing platforms – reinvent your business on a scalable cloud infrastructure you can trust.
About: IBM Cloud helps businesses speed up innovation and extract maximum value from data, services and apps with its cloud platforms, solutions, services and infrastructure offerings.
- Powerful and accessible data & analytics
- Management for massive content libraries
- DevOps for enterprise innovation
- Seamless data transfer between on-premise and the cloud through an expansive
global network of IBM Cloud data centres
- Open and server-less platform for teams to quickly develop micro-services
- Customisable solutions for mobile, analytics, big data, enterprise apps, business,
human resources, marketing, federal, retail
- IT management and cloud security
- Scalable, secure and flexible infrastructure
What We Love:
- 150+ SaaS applications for business and IT
- Cloud Marketplace to buy and sell cloud apps, services and solutions
- Hybrid cloud infrastructure that’s secured and easy to manage
- Insights and latest cloud computing news from their community
- Free IBM SoftLayer $500 credit in servers and services
- No hidden fees or long-term contracts
Google Cloud Platform lets innovators innovate and coders code so they can build better software faster.
Building the next software or application takes tremendous commitment and Google Cloud Platform knows this well. With their global fiber network connecting everyone in the world, analytics that crunch petabytes in minutes – the only way to scale is up, without breaking a sweat.
This is the experience you will get with their products and solutions catered to your budgets and needs – whether you are looking to build simple websites to complex web applications that involve machine learning. It’s faster and easier to build ideas from prototype to production without having to worry about capacity, reliability or performance.
About: Google Cloud Platform lets you focus on what’s next for your business and free yourself from the overhead of managing infrastructure, provisioning servers and configuring networks. Google Cloud Platform also offers hosting, computing, cloud storage, Big Data, and API services.
• Scalable and secure cloud infrastructure, web and mobile apps, virtual machines,
- Build and host massively scalable games
- Deviced-based solutions ready for the Internet of Things (IOT)
- Analyse big data in the cloud
- Interactive tool for large-scale data exploration, analysis and visualisation
- Fast, large and easy-to-use machine learning platform
- Robust production, monitoring and diagnostics tools
What We Love:
- Deliver your applications at global scale
- Lets you focus on developing your app, not on your infrastructure
- Cost effective platform for application development and testing requirements
- Powerful and cost effective cloud storage with global edge-caching
- Ability to create multilingual apps and text translation
- Fully-featured private Git repositories are hosted
- Extensive support, documentation and solutions search (Launcher)
- Free $300 credit to use for up to 60 days
- Pricing calculator
Pricing: Pay-per-Use; with Free Trial
Rackspace is the largest managed cloud provider trusted by more than 60% of the Fortune 100 worldwide.
Having served more than 300,000 businesses globally, Rackspace aims to help you solve your toughest problems in dedicated hosting, cloud computing, infrastructure and more. They also offer technical expertise to help you manage your complex tools and applications.
Rackspace is backed with a 100% Network Uptime Guarantee and offers hybrid cloud solutions to suit your budget and needs. They also offer support for Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure or Private Cloud, and Openstack Cloud.
About: Rackspace is one of the world-leader in cloud-enabled managed hosting and offers support for eCommerce, web content management, email, productivity and collaboration tools, website hosting, Web apps, data services, and managed security and compliance solutions.
- Customisable server hardware, OS and even intensive applications
- PCI DSS, HIPAA, SOX and FISMA compliant
- Single-tenant hosting, fully-managed to assure the highest level of perfomance
- Managed firewall and VPN access
- DDoS mitigation options
- Bandwidth and backup performance utilization
- Managed data backups and restores
- Advanced system performance and device monitoring
- Private, public or hybrid cloud
- Infrastructure and developer tools
- Application management, migration and strategy
What We Love:
- 24x7x365 customer support means guaranteed response times for support requests
- Marketplace for buying and selling apps
- Multi-cloud flexibility to help you predict workloads and traffic spikes
- 100% Network Uptime guarantee
- Encrypted backups
- 1-Hour Hardware Replacement
- Knowledge center and support forums
Pricing: Request a Quote
What the Future Looks Like: In With Applications, Out With Infrastructure
As the competition gets tougher for cloud hosting tools to meet the ever-increasing demand of businesses worldwide, there is a real call to meet speed with functionality in order to deliver applications without spending too much time mulling over what infrastructure should be used. Many will adopt the fastest available solution out there so they can focus more in building cloud-native applications. Those who will win a huge chunk of the market are those who will offer user experience like liquid gold, smooth and seamless.
Need More Help? Contact IT Enterprise today and let us worry about all of the technicalities involved!
Want to read more? Check out our previous start up series post here.